Residents – and pets – spot thieves in the act
The most recent week’s worth of incident reports from the Chesterfield County Police Department contain an unusual number of cases in which thieves were under observation while they tried to carry out their crimes.
• Unknown suspects kicked in the back door of a home in the 3800 block of Meadowdale Boulevard and were seen by the homeowner running away around 10:15 a.m. on Aug. 28. Firearms, jewelry and electronics were reported stolen.
• A resident of the 8600 block of Larkspur Road in Holiday Acres reported seeing unknown suspects trying to break in through a basement window around 9:15 a.m. on Aug. 28. Nothing was reported stolen.
• A suspect was seen on surveillance around 12:40 p.m. on Aug. 28 stealing a victim’s wallet from his pocket at a business in the Stein Mart Festival shopping center in the 9700 block of Midlothian Turnpike.
• A known suspect was seen around 11 a.m. on Aug. 29 trying to steal license plates from a vehicle parked at Lowe’s in the 2600 block of Weir Place, just off Jefferson Davis Highway in Chester.
• An unknown suspect was seen on surveillance video breaking into a trailer at a construction site in the 9000 block of Hopkins Road around 1 a.m. on Aug. 30. Nothing was reported stolen.
• A resident of the 1300 block of Creekglen Lane in Creek Pointe saw two unknown suspects steal his rental vehicle – a gold 2012 Nissan – around 3:10 a.m. on Sept. 1. The vehicle was later recovered.
• A possible known suspect was seen on surveillance entering ACAC Fitness and Wellness in the 11600 block of Robious Road through a rear door around 8:15 p.m. on Sept. 2. Cash and miscellaneous items were reported stolen.
Two final incidents involved homes with non-humans watching over them:
• Unknown suspect(s) tried to enter a home in the 1600 block of Andersons Forge Drive through a side door into the garage around 1:55 p.m. on Sept. 4. They fled when an alarm sounded. Nothing was reported stolen.
• Around 8:50 p.m. on Sept. 4, unknown suspect(s) tried to enter a home in the 9100 block of Omaha Street in Crescent Park through an unlocked back door. They fled when the resident’s dogs confronted them. Nothing was reported stolen.
Evidently, an electronic alarm system may be as effective as a dog in deterring burglars, but you still can’t teach it to fetch.
Anyone who has information about these incidents or any other crime is asked to call Crime Solvers at 748-0660. You can also submit a tip at www.crimesolvers.net or by texting “WATSON” plus your tip to 274637 (CRIMES). In other crimes:
Afton (Wareham Place) – Unknown suspect(s) entered three unlocked vehicles in the 9300 block around 10 p.m. on Aug. 30 and stole cash and consumable items.
Apple Acres (Belmont Road) – A motor vehicle reported stolen outside the county was found on Aug. 29 in the 5500 block.
Baretta Lane – An all-terrain vehicle was reported stolen on Aug. 26 from a home in the 9000 block.
Cascade Creek (Clearbrook Court) – Unknown suspect(s) entered two unlocked vehicles in the 9100 block on Aug. 29 and stole electronic devices.
Chester Village Green (Centre Street) – A possible known suspect stole an unspecified vehicle from a resident of the 11900 block on Aug. 30.
Clifton Farms (Sunfield Drive) – A motor vehicle reported stolen outside the county was found on Aug. 28 around 6:30 p.m. in the 11200 block.
Garland Heights (October Road) – A resident of the 4200 block reported on Aug. 31 that some of her jewelry was missing after a cleaning crew worked in her home.
Gregory Pond Road – Unknown suspect(s) sawed the catalytic converters off two vehicles in the 3500 block on Aug. 25.
Harbour East Village (Buccaneer Drive) – Fire was discovered at a unit in the 900 block around 2:45 p.m. on Aug. 30. No injuries were reported.
Harrowgate Road – One known and one unknown suspect broke into the Marketplace convenience store in the 16000 block by cutting a lock around 1:41 a.m. on Aug. 29. Cash and consumables were reported stolen.
Hunter’s Chase (Hunt Master Drive) – A resident of a unit in the 5200 block reported on Aug. 29 that unknown suspect(s) damaged his vehicle’s ignition in an apparent attempt to steal the vehicle.
Iron Bridge Road – A driver in the 4700 block reported that someone fired shots at the rear of her vehicle around 4:30 p.m. on Aug. 29. No injuries were reported.
• A known suspect exposed himself to a victim in the parking lot of a business in the 6500 block around 2 p.m. on Sept. 2.
Jahnke Road – Unknown suspect(s) entered a home in the 7700 block through an unlocked rear door and stole firearms, according to an Aug. 29 report.
Meadowdale (Meadowdale Boulevard) – A bomb threat was called in around 11 a.m. on Aug. 31 to a business in the Meadowdale Shopping Center in the 4100 block.
• A resident of the Regency Lake Apartments in the 3100 block reported on Aug. 29 that his mini-bike was stolen.
• Unknown suspect(s) pried open the back door of a home in the 6400 block of Meadowburm Drive on Aug. 30 and stole firearms, jewelry and miscellaneous items.
Midlothian Turnpike – An unknown suspect stole consumable goods from a victim and his vehicle in the parking lot of a business in the 7500 block around 10:55 a.m. on Aug. 28. The suspect fled in a vehicle driven by a second unknown suspect. No weapons were displayed and no injuries were reported.
• A known suspect stole cash and unspecified items from a victim during an altercation in the 7200 block around 2:30 p.m. on Aug. 30. No weapons were displayed and no injuries were reported. The stolen items were later recovered.
• A shopper at Chesterfield Towne Center in the 11500 block reported that someone stole her wallet from the purse she was carrying around 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 1.
Oak Lake Boulevard – Stoneman Heating and Air Conditioning in the 1600 block reported on Aug. 27 that unknown suspect(s) broke out the rear windows of two work vans and stole miscellaneous items.
Ravensdale (Pretty Lane) – Unknown suspect(s) broke into and ransacked a home in the 3900 block through a basement door, according to an Aug. 27 report. Nothing was reported stolen.
River Road – A suspect exposed himself inside a grocery store in the 4800 block around 9:15 a.m. on Sept. 3.
Rose Glen (Rose Glen Drive) – Unknown suspect(s) entered 10 unlocked vehicles at seven homes around the 13000 block on Aug. 28 around 4 p.m. Cash, electronic devices and miscellaneous items were reported stolen.
South Beulah Road – A motor vehicle reported stolen outside the county was found on Aug. 26 around 11:59 p.m. at the Grammer Apartments in the 6400 block.