2014-04-09 / News

FIRE & EMS WATCH

Jim McConnell

Firefighting crews respond to cardboard fire

Firefighters needed about 30 minutes to control a fire at a Chester recycling facility Monday morning.

Crews were dispatched to the Tidewater Fibre plant, in the 12200 block of Old Stage Road, at 7:24 a.m. for the report of cardboard on fire.

They found light smoke throughout the plant, and started a primary search and evacuation of employees. They found a large pile of cardboard with smoke coming from the center, but no visible flame.

Approximately 90 minutes after they arrived on scene, firefighters turned the building back over to management. Nobody was injured in the incident.

Faulty wiring blamed for apartment fire

The Chesterfield Fire Marshal has determined that an apartment fire last week was caused by malfunctioning electrical wire in a light switch.

County firefighters responded to the 6300 block of Jefferson Davis Highway April 3 at 11:07 p.m. for the report of a structure fire. Fire crews arrived to find smoke and fire coming from the front door.

The fire also had spread into the walls of the apartment, causing minor damage to an adjacent unit. It took crews approximately 30 minutes to get the fire under control, said Lt. Jason Elmore with Chesterfield Fire and EMS.

There were no injuries, but the residents of both apartments were displaced and are being assisted by the Red Cross.

Resident suffers burns while battling kitchen fire

A county resident was treated for burns to both hands after extinguishing a residential kitchen fire last week.

Crews from Chesterfield Fire and EMS were dispatched to a home in the 8400 block of Graves Road, March 31, at 11:46 p.m. On entering the residence, they encountered light smoke on the first floor and moderate smoke on the second floor.

All occupants had safely evacuated the residence, and one of the occupants had extinguished most of the fire on the stove.

One occupant was treated on scene for burns, but refused ambulance transport and was taken to the hospital by family members.

Return to top