LINKS
2015-05-13 / News

FIRE & EMS WATCH

Jim McConnell

Woman on oxygen dies after lighter sparks apartment fire

The county’s fire marshal has determined that the apartment fire that killed a 66-year-old county woman earlier this month was caused by a lighter being ignited in an oxygen-rich environment.

The victim, Virginia Pauline Bailey, was on home oxygen due to a prior medical condition at the time of the May 1 fire, said Lt. Jason Elmore with Chesterfield Fire and EMS.

The state medical examiner’s office confirmed that Bailey died as a result of burns suffered in the fire, which started in a bedroom.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the front door of Bailey’s apartment, which is located in the 6500 block of South Beulah Road, when they arrived on scene shortly before 5:40 p.m.

They entered the apartment, located and rescued Bailey. She was transported in critical condition to VCU Medical Center, where she later died.

Lawn equipment catches fire at local business

A county business closed temporarily for cleanup last week following a fire that started in its service bay.

Crews from Chesterfield Fire and EMS responded May 4 at 1:05 a.m. for the report of a fire at Burchett’s Small Engine Service, which is located in the 3600 block of Hendricks Road.

Smoke was showing from the building’s roll-up exterior doors when firefighters arrived. They entered the building and located the fire in the center of the service bay, involving several pieces of lawn equipment.

It took approximately 30 minutes to bring the fire under control, Elmore said.

The fire marshal determined that the fire started as a result of a malfunction in one of the pieces of lawn equipment waiting to be repaired in the service bay.

Kitchen fire displaces two from home on Laurel Road

Two county residents were displaced by a house fire last week and are being assisted by American Red Cross.

Firefighters received the report of a structure fire in the 20100 block of Laurel Road May 4 at 7:22 p.m. and arrived to find smoke showing from the home’s exterior.

Crews found a fire in the kitchen that they quickly extinguished. The fire caused significant damage to the kitchen. It took firefighters approximately 15 minutes to get the blaze under control.

Officials determined the fire was accidental and started as a result of unattended cooking.

Return to top