2017-08-16 / News Briefs



Midlothian trooper dies in Charlottesville helicopter crash

A local Virginia State Police trooper was killed on Aug. 12 when the helicopter he was piloting crashed in Albemarle County following protests in Charlottesville.

Lt. H. Jay Cullen, 48, of Midlothian, was one of two troopers killed when their Bell 406 helicopter crashed Saturday afternoon. The helicopter had been dispatched to monitor a scheduled white nationalist rally and a counter-demonstration by protestors. The two groups interacted violently. In an apparent act of domestic terrorism, a rally attendee rammed his car into a crowd of protestors in a crosswalk, killing one woman and injuring at least 19.

Cullen, who was commander of the Virginia State Police’s Aviation Unit, was flying with Trooper-Pilot Berke M. M. Bates, of Quinton. The helicopter crash occurred at approximately 4:44 p.m., and no known distress call was made. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash.

Vehicle strikes pedestrian on Courthouse Road

County police are investigating an incident in which a pedestrian was struck by a vehicle on Aug. 13 in the 2100 block of Courthouse Road.

Police say that at about 4:30 p.m., an adult female pedestrian was crossing the roadway when she was struck by a vehicle traveling south on Courthouse Road. The pedestrian was transported to Chippenham Hospital and is in critical condition.

Two-vehicle crash kills county man

County police are investigating a fatal two-vehicle crash that occurred Aug. 10 in the 17300 block of Branders Bridge Road.

At about 9 p.m., police say a 1993 Honda Civic was traveling north on Branders Bridge Road when it crossed into the southbound travel lane and struck a 2006 Nissan Altima. The driver of the Civic, Jeffrey Anthony Jr., was transported to Southside Regional Medical Center.

Anthony Jr., of the 3800 block of Tarris Lane in Chesterfield, died as a result of his injuries. The two passengers in the Civic were transported to VCU Medical Center, one with life-threatening injuries. The driver of the Altima was transported to VCU Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.

Return to top