2017-09-06 / News Briefs



Midlothian resident Daniel Holmes collected donations last week for his trip to Houston. 
JAMES HASKINS Midlothian resident Daniel Holmes collected donations last week for his trip to Houston. JAMES HASKINS Chesterfield trio sets out for Houston

While most of us get our updates on Hurricane Harvey’s devastation of Houston from the news, Midlothian resident Daniel Holmes says he’s receiving word from a different source.

“I woke up Tuesday morning to God telling me it’s time to go to Texas,” said Holmes, reached by phone en route to Houston. “When I hear that kind of direction, I go for it.”

Holmes, an in-house pastor at Mt. Gilead Full Gospel International Ministries in Chesterfield, is leading a small team to deliver supplies and help with the relief effort in Houston. He and two others were driving two vehicles loaded with water, diapers, baby formula and other supplies to Texas as of press time Friday. A fourth person from Richmond is flying into Houston to join them.

While two of the team members will connect with a church in Houston to distribute supplies, Holmes and another team member will assist with rescue operations. Talking about the need in Houston, Holmes referenced Jesus’ Parable of the Lost Sheep, where a shepherd leaves his flock of 99 sheep to find one that has been lost.

“If there’s one life that I can help, that I can save, that I can make the effort for in Houston, it’s worth the effort,” Holmes says. “If you’re a Christian, that’s your job. If you’re a human being, that’s your job, to help your fellow man out. We’re all in this together.”

Man killed in single-vehicle crash

County police are investigating a fatal single-vehicle crash that took place on Aug. 28 at the intersection of Matoaca Road and River Road.

Police say that at about 10:43 p.m., a 1991 Ford F150 was traveling south on Matoaca Road when it did not stop for a stop sign and struck an embankment on River Road. The driver of the vehicle, Harold L. Thomas, 75, of the 19000 block of Matoaca Road in South Chesterfield, was transported to Southside Regional Medical Center, where he later died.

Return to top